What is Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964?
Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is a federal law that prohibits discrimination based on race, color and national origin in the administration of federally assisted programs and activities. Title VI does not cover claims of employment discrimination except in instances where the primary objective of the financial assistance is to provide employment for the service, benefit or program. Title VI has broad applicability. The scope of Title VI includes all programs and activities of federal aid recipients regardless if the programs or activities are federally funded.
The full text of Title VI may be found in the Civil Rights Act of 1964: (PDF)
What is the purpose of Title VI?
The purpose of Title VI is to eliminate discrimination in federally funded programs and activities and to ensure the equitable distribution of public funds for public benefit.
Batesville Title VI Implementation Plan
The Title VI Coordinator for the City of Batesville is as follows:
City of Batesville
132 South Main Street
Batesville, IN 47006
Voice: (812) 933-6103
The City of Batesville Title VI Coordinator will:
- Administer and implement the City of Batesville’s Title VI plan and policy.
- Work with all department heads to ensure departments are implementing, monitoring, and complying with the City of Batesville’s Title VI plan and policy.
- Conduct Title VI yearly reviews with department heads to assist with identifying, addressing, and eliminating discrimination concerns in every department.
- Conduct or facilitate Title VI training programs with department heads for dissemination to employees.
- Work with department heads to ensure community involvement and outreach is in compliance with Title VI and provides equitable opportunities for participation.
- Ensure Title VI language is included in City of Batesville contracts.
- Collect, review, and preserve statistical data (race, color, national origin, language, gender, etc.) of participants in activities and programs to ensure the City of Batesville’s continued compliance with Title VI.
- Collect, review, and preserve data regarding the number of federally funded projects awarded or ongoing for the past three (3) years.
- Maintain all Title VI records and correspondence, including but not limited to, signed employee acknowledgements, complaints, and all correspondence regarding such, requests for language services, demographic statistics, department compliance reviews, and all Title VI federal agency correspondence and records.
- Address all Title VI discrimination complaints.
- Review and update the Title VI plan and policy as needed or required.
- Prepare and submit the annual Title VI update report.